Global Midwifery Education for the Future - Elizabeth Davis
* The motivation towards Midwifery Educaion comes from a deep heart calling, a strong physical birthing experience and a want to serve the wider social community.
* IF YOU REALLY WANT IT YOU CAN DO IT!
* Your Midwife- Wise , humble, confident, open, trusts her and your body, is educated in Birth.
* Who will create this if not you?
* MIDWIVES ALLIANCE OF NORTH AMERICA
Is based on - core statements, practice protocols, A broad sense of how we practice, not what!
* HOLISTIC MIDWIFERY EDUCATION
can be grounded in a competancy based assessment by midwives - can the midwife demonstrate the competancy and skills to practice?
* Involve certified people- Midwives, Doctors etc to test others_ challenge them to show
SKILLS, COMPETANCY AND KNOWLEDGE
* receprocity between states that all recognise the Certified Practicing Midwife (CPM)
*Portfolio based assessment- you don't need to go to school if you can show the skills and competancys to be a Midwife.
* Self -awareness and self-development are core to competant Midwifery practice
* Contextual integrated overview is needed to create the understanding of why education and skills are important.
MENTORSHIP - SUPPORTING STUDENTS
* Know yourself, be prepared, be mature, feel confident
* OPEN YOUR HEART
* Teachers need to be open to learning to know how to teach
*Each womans personal needs need to be the basis of their Midwifery care- Supprtive Midwifery= Real Midwifery
*Community support is the key to REAL Midwifery care!
*To be adaptable and to be able to accept differences between women is a core skill.
* Social education with community specific knowledge helps a midwife give care tailored to individual needs.
* The more we learn to work with each other and learn from each other the better care we can give our global community.
* OUR MISSION IS AUTHENTIC CARE!
*To mentor and to be mentors is a core structure of Midwifery Education and continuation of knowledge.
* We are all equal and we all have skills and knowledge to offer
* We need to accept our own limitations and bias to to then be able to open our hearts and minds and become better educators and students
* Everyone learns differently- to open up to the heart of knowledge is to learn how students learn and tailor our education towards thier needs not our expectations
* Ask yourself ' If that was my Mother , Sister,Friend etc would I want her to be treated this way?'
* If you can get on well together you can learn together
* Midwifery is an Art and as such differs from person to person- hence giving total individual choice for each woman.