* Once the inner mouth opens - the cervix is dilated
* Tired - take a nap - TO REST IS NOT DANGEROUS!
* Hot - drink cool water - rest
* Cold - use a blanket, do some execise
* Nipple stimulation can always be benieficial to birth progression
* A womans instincts are the primary answer to what is needed during the 2nd stage
* ASSIST HER TO LISTEN TO HERSELF BY LISTENING TO HER *
* Food can be instantly benificial to the womans laboring capabilities
* when the birthing womans experience is longer than the midwives endurance , HAVE A PARTNER!
* ITS GOOD TO HAVE SUPPORT AND FRIENDS! NEVER BE TOO PROUDTO STEP ASIDE!
* Toilet seats, birth stools, showers- all these assist in the progress of labor
* Facial expressions are important during labor
scrunched up face = clenched uterus
h relaxed face = relaxed uterus
* Make the sphincter happy! - quiet , relaxing, dim light, gentle music, sexual attention, sweet smells , warm water
* Release all tension in the body and brain
* Sometimes the dimensions of the pelvis need to change to assist the downward movement of the OP ( Occiput- back of babies head- Posterior - facing mothers bottom), high position baby
get the mother to stand upright , a person on each side of he mother places hand s on the top of the hip bones and together they push inwards thus creating a scissor movement in the pelvis making the bottom bones open wider.
or in the words of my 9 year olds son jake " If the baby is stuck push on the top sides of the mummies bottom and the baby will come out of the bottom of the mummies bottom! "
* To birth easily*
* Watch the partners! if they need to wee and are holding on they will be influencing their womans ability to let go.
* tell stories -' How I learned to enjoy pooping in labor' , ' The princess and the poo' , ' The mole who knew it was none of his buisness'
* Make the room smell nice
* Most fears are just social inhibitions we need to be practical to overcome them
* ASSIST MOTHERS TO REWIRE THEIR MINDS TO CELEBRATE POOPING AND FARTING TO CREATE POSITIVE BIRTH STORIES!
* We need to laugh more in labor- it gives us neuro endorphins and oxytocin ( the birthing love hormone) it also softens the pelvis and allows the baby to come down
* Miconium is not poo! It is intestine packing ! It is not nasty!
* If there is miconium and the heart tones are good there is no need to worry
** Heart decellerations are common panic moments but if the baby recovers immediately then it has enough oxygen and there is no need to fear.
* Dad is good as furniture and bad as cameraman
LAUGH MORE LOVE MORE!
Ina may Gaskin is an amazing woman' a midwife , author and international birth activist, her books 'Spiritual Midwifery , Ina mays gide to childbirth ' and , A midwives manifesto' are compelling enlightening reading . if you havent alreadt read them I advise you to do so!
In this session she also advised that ' The court Midwife' by Justine Siegermunden was an interesting read.